Saturday, February 13, 2010

Memories of a TV Childhood


While contemplating our new huge high-definition TV I recalled how much of a big deal it was just to have color. When I was little, our house and that of just about everyone we knew had black and white. Many of the programs were in B&W and the complete transition to color happened gradually from the late 60s to the 70s. I can remember watching most of the Mary Tyler Moore Show in black and white which premiered in 1970 and ran until 1977 (When the last episode aired, I was acting in a high school production of The Sound of Music. We had a set backstage and as I was playing Herr Zeller, the mean Nazi, I didn't have many scenes and I could watch it.)

My great-aunt Lilly and great-uncle Carl had a color TV and it was so exciting to visit them because we could watch our favorite shows in living flesh-tones. One time we had dinner with them and I remember we watched Time Tunnel which was on Thursdays (I think). I asked if we could have dinner with them on a Wednesday because that was when Lost in Space was on. The first season of Lost in Space had been broadcast in black and white. Then the second year the cast got all new colorful costumes--which I couldn't appreciate because of our cheap b&w set. Back then, I didn't understand why they suddenly change their clothes if they were wandering aimless in the cosmos. Where did they get the new duds? It was like the castaways on Gilligan's Island. Only the Howells had a complete wardrobe. The Robinsons had their black and white space suits and their color ones. Later I realized it was just to take advantage of the color. Judy in particular benfitted from the makeover. In season one she wore this drab dark skirt thing. In season two she was in a bright yellow and purple pants suit. (I later got Marta Kristin's autograph at a sci-fi convention, but that's another story.)

Speaking of visiting relatives and TV, another time we were visiting my Uncle Joe and Aunt Marion in January 1966 to go sledding with my cousins. I remember the date because my sister and I watched the George Sanders Mr. Freeze episode of Batman with my cousin James. (There were three Mr. Freezes, Otto Preminger and Eli Wallach were the other two) That was the third or fourth Batman episode. It was a Wednesday because it was part one. Part two was on Thursday. It was an unusual experience because in those days before DVRs, we would watch Lost in Space on Wed. from 7:30 to 8:30 and see part two of Batman on Thurs. Anyway, we kids were all excited because we thought with all the snow we'd have to stay overnight. I was only six so this was a big deal. But my dad said it was time to go home. Driving back, our car hit a patch of ice and we crashed into a fence. I don't remember how long we were there, but my dad must have called a tow truck to get us out and we got home eventually.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could say I remember that but I was only 5. Reading this brought back the memory of my Dad winning a sales contest at WIBG and bringing home a huge MUNTZ color TV.

    ReplyDelete