Monday, August 31, 2009

Summer Vacation with Digressions into the Disney-Marvel Deal

We've been on vacation since Aug. 20 and are now in the middle of our time off. So far we've driven to Pittsfield, Mass. to see the Barrington Stage Company to see Freud's Last Session in the studio theatre, then A Streetcar Named Desire on the main stage with Tony nominee Marin Mazzie, visited friends near Quakertown, PA, then drove to Doylestown--a cute little town with some cute little shops, went to Cooperstown and saw La Traviata at Glimmerglass. The next few days were spent hanging around the house. At one point I drove one hour to Millerton because they have a nice antiques place which sometimes has valuable Silver Age comics. I had not bought any in a while and my habit was getting to me. I needed one badly. So I bought two reprints of Avengers from the late 60s in a series called Marvel Triple Action. The art was by Don Heck whose work I have never been crazy about but the covers were great.

BTW, I heard today that Disney is buying Marvel for several million dollars. Does that mean that the Marvel superheroes will be removed from Universal Islands of Escape and transferred to Disney World and will Disney pour money into the Spider-Man musical and thereby save it? (I have not been keeping up with that situation while I've been away, so I don't know if it's on or off or what?) Jerry and I really loved Universal, but found Disney too family-and-kiddie-oriented. How will the angst-filled heroes of Marvel fit into that Mickey-Mouse framework? We'll be going to Orlando a week after we get back so I'm looking forward to it.

Today we drove up through the Adironacks and stopped in Lake Saranac, Lake Placid, and are now in Plattsburgh. Tomorrow, we'll take the ferry across to Vermont. Pretty scenery. Nice dinner at a place called Iris' Wine Bar and Restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment