Sunday, August 9, 2009

Benton Quest and Race Bannon: TV's First Gay Family?


Boomerang is now showing reruns of Jonny Quest at midnight and I find myself watching Golden Girls reruns on Hallmark or the second airing of Rachel Maddow on MSNBC from 11 to about 11:45, so I can say to myself, “Oh, Jonny Quest is on in 15 minutes anyway, I may as well stay up and see it as long as I’m up.” I absolutely loved this show when it first aired back in the early 60s. I remember it used be on ABC just before The Addams Family—I think. I loathe the new version Cartoon Network had on a few years ago because it looked so cheap. The thing that excited me about Jonny Quest was that despite the fact that the title character was an 11-year-old boy like me (I had to be younger) this was a sophisticated adult show.

First of all, it was on at night! That meant it wasn’t intended for kids. Those cartoons were only on Saturday mornings, unlike the 24-7 accessibility of animation nowadays. And the animation was so realistic, Jonny and his all-male clan looked like real people, not fantasy coloring book figures like the Flintstones or the Jetsons, Hanna-Barbara’s other prime-time family units.

Jonny never had to go to school. There was the occasional admonishment from Race Bannon for him to do his homework or he wouldn’t get to hang glide with Hadji, but then there would be a call from some panicked police chief or fellow scientist for his dad, Dr. Benton Quest to drop everything to rush to India or Pago Pago. They’d all pile in their private jet and head for adventure. I wonder if they ever ran into Josie and the Pussycats. (But that was probably years later.)

There was also the gay subtext of the relationship between Dr. Benton Quest and Race Bannon. Did you notice the sideways glances they cast at each other in the opening credits as if to say “Wait till the kids are asleep then I can show you that new experiment, if you know what I mean”? They always shared a room, sometimes with the boys, too—as in that episode where a tarantula is dropped on Dr. Quest in the middle of the night and Jonny throws a pitcher of water at it. All four are in the same room, each in separate beds of course.
Race did have a brief flirtation with a female spy called Jade and they seemed to know each other from previous international capers. Jonny and Hadji both go “Ewww!” when the two daredevils kissed at the end of an episode. The ABC bigwigs may have dictated a little heterosexual smooching to avoid any suspicion of hanky-panky on the part of the two male leads. Otherwise, Benton and Race were constantly in each other’s company and Race was the “mother” to Jonny and Hadji. Mrs. Quest apparently died at a young age and her surviving husband never mentions female companionship. So this unit was an early example of a same-sex couple, complete with an adopted Third World child (Hadji). Harvey Birdman, Attorney-at-Law, satirized the gay possibilities with Race suing Benton for custody of the boys.

I was watching an episode Thursday night and it was startling because an Asian police lieutenant who has been acting as a double agent against his government dies a horrible death in a car crash. You don’t see such on screen violence in cartoons today—or not in Saturday morning ones anyway. Here was real life and death with consequences. Not like the bullets which bounced off Superman or wounded Daffy Duck but he emerged unscathed. In one cartoon, after being shot by Elmer Fudd, Daffy joked “It’s a good thing I got Blue Cross.”

Trivia note: I discovered that the end-credit footage of angry African natives chasing a hovercraft as it flies into a waiting jet and then throwing spears at the jet as it takes off is not from any Jonny Quest episode. Those are scenes from an earlier version of the show which never aired. That always bothered me because all the other scenes in the credits were from recognized Quest adventures. Mystery solved.

My favorite line. In the episode "The House of the Seven Gargoyles" it's revealed that a gargoyle statue is actually a dwarf in disguise spying on Dr. Quest while he visits Norway. Someone says "It's Norway's greatest acrobatic dwarf!" As if there were hundreds of acrobatic dwarves in Norway.

This has been a Screen Gems presentation.

18 comments:

  1. My pals and I used to crack jokes about Race Bannon and Dr. Quest years and years ago. It was only natural that those clever fellows who write HARVEY BIRDMAN would follow it to a funny script.

    Yep...the violence on JONNY QUEST was full-on and "real". People got killt. Shot. Blowed up (real good). Etc. The writers were almost sadistic in their choices of violent ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Race is Benton's wife, if you think about it hard enough. Jonny's Golden Quest movie shows Mrs. Quest and Mrs. Bannon.

    Doesn't matter, Bandit's the coolest character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched 'Golden Quest.' It sucked. I'd rather rewatch the original shows any day. I didn't like the conflicts that the movie had with the original. Having Mrs. Quest in it was fine - but it should have been a pre-qual. Hadji never knew Mrs. Quest. Plus, WHY would Race be around since Mrs. Quest was Jonny's caregiver? AFTER she died/killed - Race was hired to protect Jonnie. I wasn't crazy about how they changed Jade - I didn't really like Jessie either. It's obvious that political correctness interfered - like BOTH Dr. Quest and Race had to have their wives to PROVE that nothing too 'gay' was going on. The original show focused on males - lets face it - the show was a guy's show - but the movie HAD to add girls to prove that all the guys were straight. I wouldn't mind a LITTLE emotion - but the movie mostly focused on 'feelings' and emotional issues... while the original show had VERY little. But, that's what I liked about the original - lots of action and adventure!

      Delete
  3. I don't know about 'wives', but Race was definitely the top in the relationship. In the "Invisible Monster" episode, they used paint bags to throw at the monster (to make it visible). Race held the blue paint bags. Dr. Quest held the pink ones. I remember thinking, even back then--doesn't anybody else realize that they're together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rewatched 'Invisible Monster' yesterday - and I noticed the EXACT same thing about the paint. I agree 100%. Most likely, Race and Dr. Quest were together - and Race was most likely the top. But Race also gets an A+ for being the best 'mom' Jonny and Hadji could ever hope for. Race totally rocks!!

      Delete
  4. I used to watch this on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. I LOVED the show. I never noticed anything hinky going on between Dr. Quest and Race back then. Children usually don't notice such things. BUT, I agree - after rewatching some episodes - I now wonder if the two adult men DID have something going on. Just before one episode ends - Race asks Dr. Quest, "Now what were we up to before we were interrupted?" It's probably just my dirty mind working overtime. In another episode, Race asks Dr. Quest, "Should we wait until it gets dark before we finish?" Anyway, there's LOTS of lines like that in the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sick, twisted perverts just can't stand any normal heterosexual relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sick twisted perverts run the world, kiddo. And FYI: There's no such thing as a "normal" heterosexual relationship. Thank goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still waiting to see first season HARVEY BIRDMAN on my local broadcaster will keep an eye out for S01e01

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly never realized this when I was a little kid, Always saw it as great adventures, period. Now, at 2017 with all the LGBT community as the "new normal" and I'm old now, I can see this vibe in the cartoons, I really Hope that they're not Gay at all, but at the end of the day, it's still the same greatest adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who cares if they were gay seriously why should that even be an issue

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all loved to watch this show..period.
    When we were kids... why would we be thinking about this this was for kids right? why does anyone have to bring anything sexual into it ?
    ..even if they were gay... who cares seriously?
    there was nothing sexual about the show .....
    ever...period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Benton and Race were 100% gay/bi in the original cartoon. And they are also in the comics but the writers always try to hide it. It's not normal that the guys are ALWAYS saying 'we are friends' 'he is my best friend'but then Race gets mad because he thought Benton said the house wasn't his house too. Race said 'Benton Quest is perfect, always under control' and other nice things about him. This makes me think Race admires Benton in a romantic way because if you analize the comic, when Judy died the hole Benton had was filled with the company Race gave him, and it is just so beautiful and painful the way the years pass but Benton still misses his wife and Race is always there for him, supporting him, making it less painful... Race had something with Jade but their relationship was only for fun, Race seems to be in love with Benton in my opinion, because he doesnt matter when Doc gets sad or mad, he just loves the way Doc is and Race loves the kids too. Even for a bodyguard that is too much but Benton can't love him back because that is forbidden and thats also the reason why Race doesn't say anything.

    If the writers tried to hide something gay, they failed because all I said is what I understood from the comics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Get real , it's a great cartoon. So get your mind out of the gutter and get a day job.

    ReplyDelete