Sunday, April 17, 2011

Annoying Sunday


Very annoyed with myself--through some slip I failed to DVR The Amazing Race on the TV in my upstate house and wound up DVRing Undercover Boss. Damn! Well, I am sure that the TV in my Queens place did get the show and I can always watch it on the CBS website. (Although I did try that once and it only got through the first 45 mins befoer the image broke up.) Tomorrow we are driving to NJ for Passover so I won't get to see it till tomorrow night at some point.

It's been a strange and busy week with lots of shows to cover as we wind down towards the end of the 2010-11 theatre season. Just got the disheartening news that the Intiman Theatre of Seattle must cancel the rest of its 2011 season due to lack of funds. After my weekend at Actors Theatre of Louisville it was so exciting to feel part of a regional theatre and then to get this bad news.

It's also the anniversary of both the start of the Civil War and the Lincoln Assasination. Fort Sumter was fired upon on April 12, 1861 and Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865. I'm reading a book on the assassination and the subsequent trial. I also want to see this new movie, The Conspirator, directed by Robert Redford. The book is called "They Have Killed Papa Dead," taken from a quote Tad Lincoln uttered when running into the White House after learning of the succesful attempt on his father's life. Earlier this week as I was reading the book on the subway, I was close to tears. The author was describing the moments after the shooting as Lincoln's body was carried across the street from Ford's Theatre to a private house. It was feared he would die immediately if they took him to the White House.

I supposed I got emotional imagining the reactions of the people in Ford's and in the nation's capital. After four hard years of bitter warfare, the hostilities had finally ceased and just as everyone was looking forward to peace, the man who led the country through its most difficult trial is brutally murdered by a fanatical madman. Lincoln tried to bring us together rather than divide us by appealing to a narrow base--like some politicians today. Speaking of which...

Donald Trump appears to be serious about running for president. That doesn't concern me too much since he is basically a joke. It would be amusing if he did run and when he fails to get the Republican nomination, even more amusing if he ran as an independent. That would almost guarantee a second term for Obama since a Trump candidacy would pull votes away from the mainstream Republican--probably Romney.

No comments:

Post a Comment