Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Amazing Race 18--Episode 6 and 7--Tea Time

The past two weeks have been jampacked with theatregoing since we are approaching the end of the Broadway season, plus I was in Louisville last weekend. So I have fallen behind in my Amazing Race evaluations, even though there was no episode last week due to the Country Music Awards. The main observation is the producers are really cutting costs. So far there have been seven episodes and we've only been in three countries: Australia, China, and India. There seemed to be less action in these past two episodes compared to the pair of double-part legs and the double U-turn. I did learn that Calcutta is no longer called that, but like Mumbai it is now known by a traditional Indian title--Kolkata.

In Kumning, the racers were given some tea and their next destination in India. In Kolkata, they had to identify the same tea they drank in China amid thousands of cups. All in the name of product placement because Snapple was sponsoring this episode and they were marketing a special limited edition Amazing Race tea. Luke supplied the big drama by breaking down and having a hissy fit when he couldn't find the right one. (Maybe I shouldn't criticize since I don't know how I would react if everyone had already left and that Omar Sharaf guy kept shaking his head at me that I got it wrong.) After the challenge of painting an elephant or delivering school books (difficult! Not! What happened to bungee jumping?) Gary and Mallory won. Mallory reacted way too excitedly over winning a bottle of Snapple, but she was justified when they threw in the $1 million rupees.

The only other big drama was Vyxsin's nose ring. Scary! She continued to wear it into episode seven where the teams stayed in India, but at least they flew to another city rather than taking yet another train. Once in Vernasi, one team member had to find six holy men and put together a message (copying the Devil and the deep blue sea challenge of episodes 1 and 2). The segment reminded me of when I was in Nepal and I took a picture of a holy man and give him a few rupees. He gave me a red dot on my forehead. I was also wearing my Nepali cap at the time and my dad whom I was travelling with said I had gone native.

This episode also reminded me of being in Delhi (This was part of the same trip with my dad). Just as the racers commented on the craziness of the streets of Varnasi, I remember the streets of Delhi full of animals, togas, rickshaws, motorcycles, pedestrains, people hauling garbage, cars, etc.

Kent invoked bad karma by promising to lead Gary to the final holy man after they worked together, but he dumped the old guy like a hot rock. Kent paid for his treachery later by turning into Mister Crabby Goth. His backpack was suddenly too heavy and he made Wonder Woman Vyxsin carry it. Then the Goths got in the wrong boat and Vyxsin jumped in the dirty Gangas River! They finally found a cab and pushed the passenger out and screamed at the driver. I thought they were going to lose when it was between them and Ron and Christine, but the father-daughter team was unable to make up for lost time since Ron was the last one out of the holy-man search.

The Globetrotters won, coming back from last place and Justin and Zev were second. I'm glad they're still in it. The competition is really tight now with only really good players left. I think Kent and Vyxsin are the next to go. Coming attractions made it look like they are reaching the breaking point, just like they did they last time they were on.

Day 10--head to airport for flight to Kolkata
Day 11--Arrive in Kolkata, wait overnight until Town Hall opens in the morning
Day 12--Road Block with tea tasting and Detour with schoolbook or ganesha painting; Gary and Mallory have their product-placement dinner
Day 13--Leg 7 begins, head to airport, book flights to Vernasi via Delhi
Day 14--Arrive Vernasi at 10:45 AM, cowboys one hour behind, but catch up

Leaderboard:
Justin and Zev--two wins, trips to Cancun and Costa Rica
Mallory and Gary--two wins, Express Pass (used), $1 million rupees, an Indian dinner and a bottle of Snapple Jet and Cord--one win, $5,000 each
Luke and Margie--one win, trip to Aruba
Flight Time and Big Easy--one win, trip to Hawaii

No comments:

Post a Comment