Saturday, January 1, 2011

Jetsons' Residence, Rosie Speaking


We have new phones at my office and we have an infinite choice of ring tones. I chose the Jetsons doorbell. This was one of my favorite shows since it predicted the world of the future not the past like the Flinstones. The best thing about the Flinstones was the animals who operated all the appliances and would look at the camera and say "It's a living."

The Jetsons on the other hand was about the world I was supposed to grow up in. I remember figuring out I would be about 40 in the year 2000. I imagined we would be flying around in rocket cars, vacationing on the moon, and spending the weekend in Acapulco, like Jane's friend Helen. ("Now that's what I call racy dialogue," Helen quipped when Jane and George could only say each other's name to each other after Jane's trip to a dude planet.)

The picture is of Jane getting ready for "My Space Lady" and George gave the tickets to Mr. Spacely. That episode always annoyed me because Mr. Spacely was within his rights to demand George forego the theatre, but to take his wife's ticket as well was just cruel. I always wandered what "My Space Lady" would have been like. Did Professor Henry Higgins-rocket make Eliza Spacelittle into a lady at the interplanetary ball?

Another Jetsons memory was when Rosie fell in love with Mac the Robot. When Henry the Janitor de-activated him, she went around saying "Eh-Neh" like she said Judy sounded when she was out of love.

The most interesting aspect of the Jetsons was its total lack of advancement for women. In their world, females are still mostly housewives with a fear of mice and poor driving skills.

1 comment:

  1. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing..
    daintree residence

    ReplyDelete