Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hoodoos In Utah; Papers in Arizona



(LAKESIDE, AZ) We crossed the border from Utah to Arizona and were not stopped to show our papers, so the new law must be ineffective. We travelled the Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon, staying at the Thunderbird Lodge in Mt. Carmel Junction. Breathtaking scenery of gigantic cliffs and mesas and hoodoos--what the hell is a hoodoo you ask? Wasn't that the villainous magician played by Charles Nelson Reilly on that awful Sid and Marty Krofft kids' show called Lidsville? Actually a hoodoo is a standing piece of rock carved out by years of erosion. We asked a ranger where the phrase came from and he said someone in the 1880s just started calling them that. It derives from voodoo and black magic. It's supposed to be a spell. Anyway, after driving out of Utah, we entered Arizona to visit with Jerry's sister who has a summer place here.

I will have to give you a more thorough account of the trip with pictures once I have downloaded them from my camera, but we did not bring our laptop. Over the last few days I've gotten a little cold, so I'm taking it easy today by just resting here at the Holiday Inn Express. I watched the beginning of Sea of Grass with Hepburn and Tracy but got bored with it and I think I'd seen it before. So then I watched Divorce Court and an episode of Law & Order. My glasses are still bothering me so I couldn't read too much, just a few pages of Atlas Shrugged. I did still in the hotel hot tub and felt relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment