Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sarah Palin at Burger King

So I'm having dinner at Burger King on Monday night. I know it's bad for me but I was in a hurry. I had to make a 7 PM curtain to see Donny and Marie: A Broadway Christmas which I was reviewing (It will be posted on the Back Stage website by now.) Anyway, this BK on Broadway and about 40th Street, right by where they have the Fashion Walk of Fame, has a TV monitor where they show trivia questions and headlines with news photos. I'm sitting there munching on a Chicken Sandwich and some onion rings while reading a 1968 Superman comic book and who should appear on the TV screen but goddamn Sarah Palin, the bane of my existence.

On display was a photo of Sister Sarah on her recent visit to Haiti for publicity and to gain legit cred for actually having visited a foreign country she can't see from her house. The caption reads: Sarah Palin visits Haiti and gains valuable foreign relations experience and humanitarian kudos. I almost spat out a hunk of onion ring! Who was writing these right-wing-leaning captions? "Valuable foreign relations experience? Humanitarian kudos?" What did she do bring them some caribou meat? BTW, I watched her dreadful reality show for maybe five minutes, it was all I could take.

I noticed a definite conservative bias in the news reporting at this Burger King. A few weeks ago while chowing down another Chicken sandwich and reading a Batman comic, there was a photo of Nancy Pelosi and the caption read something about the national deficit being this enormous, horrible number and it was due to the Democratic-controlled Congress. Who is running this newsfeed at BK? I'm almost tempted to ask the manager who gave them the programming for their flat screens. Most of it was innocuous trivia like which actor was never in a Harry Potter film or who won which Super Bowl? Anyway, if it happens again, I'm definitely asking.

Oh, and Donny made a joke about Bristol Palin during the show--Donny won Dancing with the Stars and Marie only came in third, like Bristol. Marie was saying she didn't do so badly and Donny teased her for being no better than Bristol. So he just went up in my estimation.

No comments:

Post a Comment