Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Crazy Monday



Monday was kind of a crazy day. I arrived at the Regency Hotel to interview Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter in connection with their new film The King's Speech. To my surprise, the whole block was cordoned off with a police barricade and there was an X-ray machine and a metal detector in front of the entrance. I had been to the Regency a few times in the past to see cabaret shows at Michael Feinstein's club, but there was never a security check, not even for Mitzi Gaynor. So to get in the building I had to give the police my bag for the X-ray machine and walk through the metal detector just like at the airport. I later heard the reason for the heavy duty security was Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister of Israel, was staying at the hotel.

The interview went well. I was given about 20 minutes with the very tall Mr. Firth and ten minutes with Miss Bonham Carter who I think had a cold. She sat curled up on the sofa of her hotel suite wearing clunky glasses and the same jewelry she had on in The Hollywood Reporter cover shoot, clutching a stuffed animal and sipping tea her publicist had brought her. She graciously asked if I wanted anything, but I figured I would be in and out of there so fast, I wouldn't have time for more than a sip of anything. Geoffrey Rush was supposed to be on the junket with his co-stars, but he was still filming Pirates of the Caribbean part 37 which went overschedule.

The whole thing took about 30 minutes. Then back to the office. That night I had the weirdest dream. I dreamt I was at the Actors Theatre of Louisville's Humana Festival, but I was locked out of my hotel room and no one had a schedule of the plays. I wandered through the theatre trying to figure out which plays were performing when and what I had reservations for, but no one knew. Finally, I found my way to the first play which starred Kathy Griffin and Derek Jacobi. What do you think that means? Don't answer that, except with comments--I never get any. Please, leave your interpretations of the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment